If you are caught in your burning place of business, it can sometimes look suspicious, especially if you make a insurance claim soon after the event. So I have compiled some advice from my experience on how to look more innocent, and less “alleged arsonist”.
- When the firefighters see you in the burning building, don’t try to hide
- Don’t store three empty petrol cans in your car boot
- Remember that burns on your arms suggest you were trying to put out the fire. Burns on your face suggest you were looking at it very closely.
- Use the ambulance ride to go over the points of what happened – you don’t want to give ambiguous, conflicting stories to every doctor you see
- Don’t try to convince people that your story is confused because english is your second language, unless you can consistently maintain poor language skills
- Wear clothes that don’t smell like accelerant
- Don’t prohibit the treating doctor from giving a statement as when they eventually testify by court order, they are considered a hostile witness and won’t get expenses. This will not make them feel fondly toward you.
- When it comes to your day in court, recognize that hiring a very expensive lawyer will not make you look more innocent, although it may get you acquitted
I hope my experience and advice can help those innocent people who get caught in this awful situation.